While driving on a highway the chances of facing a flat tire is very high. Here are some steps that will help you with it.
1. Safety measure: If you have a flat tire while driving in a highway then first pull your off the road and while pulling make sure you have enough space for you in case to save you from hit by another car on the road. One of the safest route to take to pull over your car the nearest exit and take your car to a gas station parking lot or a shoulder area with extra space. It is important to take into account about the weather condition and visibility of the area you want to pull over.
2. Evaluate the situation: Once you successfully pull over your car to a safe place then the next thing to do is evaluate the situation of your tire whether it can be repaired or need a replacement. Some basic guidelines for these are: If you need to choose between a spare or tire plug then a spare is a better option, if you notice a puncture which is greater than one quarter inch diameter then it is useless to try to plugged, it is unwise to attempt to try repair the puncture in the sidewall etc.
3. Remove the flat tire: If you notice the cause of the flat tire then the next step begin. To have a full evaluation of the damage and the puncture it is wise to remove the tire first. And after the removal of the tire examine any kind of foreign object and holes in it. Examine very thoroughly the entire tire for damage and mark then with chalk or tape whichever available. If you unable to locate any damage then you can try by applying mixer of shop and water in the tire if available.
4. Put on the spare: It is wise to have a fully inflated spare with oneself to deal with situation like flat tire in a highway. Once you remove your flat tire and if the damage is so severe that cannot be repaired then replaced it with your spare.
5. Plug the flat: In case of repairing a flat tire only a combination of plug and patch is considered safe. However in a patch repair removal of tire is needed and even if you manage to repair the first thing is to take your car to a shop and let the professional check and repaired it properly.
If you encounter a flat tire at home it is convenient that you take it to your nearest service centre for tire installation and to check the available places try searching it online by typing tire installation Vancouver if you live in the Vancouver city.